Friday, January 30, 2015

Frozen Heat

Follow up to NY Times bestseller "Heat Rises," this book does not disappoint.  "Frozen Heat" continues on the trail of Nikki Heat to solve her mother's murder, now a frozen case, ten years old.  Hence, the title. A new murder has clues which seem to connect it to her mother's case.  I cannot give you a synopsis on this because that would really ruin a good story for you.  Suffice it to say, Nikki is still chasing leads that seem to lead to good places, but turn up empty, or mostly leading to another possible clue which has to be deciphered before she can follow that lead.  She is again teaming up with Jameson Rook to investigate said leads.  Enough of leading--this is well written, which to me means that it flows so smoothly that you forget you are reading, so caught up you are.  Another great characteristic is not being able to figure out "who dun it" a few chapters in.  Frozen Heat kept me guessing until almost the end and then surprised me with who actually had done it.  However, the satisfaction of finding the murderer still leaves plenty of room for other discoveries in future novels. I am a fan of the TV show "Castle" which is the embodiment of these novels, or vice versa; not sure which, there.  If you have any viewing/reading history on this author, then you will know that Richard Castle is really Nathan Fillion, Beckett's (Nikki Heat) sidekick in the TV series.  Confusing, I know.  The big question has been for some time, who really writes these books?   My money is on the screenwriter for the show.  In the end, I really don't care. I am (generally) not one to make a personal connection to my favorite authors.  I pick my reads first by the flyleaf, or word of mouth from friends/relatives, then go back for more if I like what I read.  I mean, the book was good and I enjoyed it.  For me, a good book is a great escape.  It is that simple.  This is my first Castle novel.  I picked this up at a bookstore, and I will be going back for more.  Five stars, in my opinion.  I highly recommend it.
Thanks for reading,
Jeri


No comments:

Post a Comment