Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Lost Mission

In Lost Mission, Athol Dickson begins the story with the experiences of Franciscan brother, Fray Alejandro Tapia Valdez in Assisi, Italy in 1767.  It only takes a few pages to begin sweeping the reader along on a mystery that defies solving for much of the book.  In his prayers, Fray Alejandro feels supernaturally compelled to travel to the New World to "Go and save my children."  Thus begins a story that Dickson entwines between new and old, past and present, historical and current day events, all related and indeed, all the same story. Lost Mission takes you along on the journey of Fray Alejandro and Mision de Santa Dolores in Southern California which collapses and many generations later is uncovered during the construction of a housing development.  The ensuing havoc from disturbing the ruins is totally supernatural and totally believable, making this one of the best reads you will have.  This is a work of fiction that demands focus of the reader.  The author moves back and forth between past and present so seamlessly that you have to pay attention.  I started this book twice before I became engaged and finished it.  That's not to say it is hard to read, just to say it is deep and you must be ready to be "in it."  Once you read a work by Athol Dickson, you know what to expect and it gets easier to get into it with each book you read.  I dare say, you will want to read all of his books after spending time with any of his books.  My first Athol Dickson work was "River Rising, which mystified me, and then I read "The Cure" and I was convinced this was a very special author with a real sense of spirituality that he brings to each writing.  Honestly, my personal mission is to read all of Athol Dickson's books and savor them one by one!  I highly recommend you discover his work.  You can read more about Mr. Dickson at www.atholdickson.com.
See you next time when I will review "The Chase" by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg.
Thanks for reading, see you soon~!
Jeri

No comments:

Post a Comment